Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Global Shame

When I was in Europe, I experienced first hand the globalization that we discussed in Human Geography two weeks ago. For an American visiting foreign countries it was rather embarrassing to see so many American companies influencing the cultures and everyday lives of those other countries. I knew that McDonald's was an international company, but it was still amazing, in an unfortunate way, to see so many of them. However, the most blush-worthy example of globalization that I saw was a GameStop in a small town in rural Ireland. When I saw it I simply stared becuase I couldn't believe my eyes. I can't believe how far the tentacles of American capitalism reach. I was rather looking forward to visiting Paris, the fashion capital of the world, so that I could see all the different French styles and not have to look at Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostle, etc. I was rather disappointed when I saw people wearing Hollister sweatshirts and Abercrombie t-shirts. It was embarrassing! Why should other countries have to deal with such blatant expressions of American egotism?

No comments:

Post a Comment