Monday, August 16, 2010

Four Score and Seven Years Ago

Tonight my family an I returned from a weekend long Civil War reenactment. This Civil War Days festival takes place every two years an we have been going since I was four...so essentially we've been going for twelve years even though we've only been there six times. This time was different slightly for me because I am now supposedly "out in society", therefore I can't be running around with my bonnet hanging down my back like I used to; that's not to say I didn't try though :). This means that I had to be chaperoned anywhere I wanted to go outside the LHS (Living History Society) tent, and if my dad wasn't around, then my younger brother had to take me...even if it was to walk the fifty feet to the shop where my dad was browsing. This dependence was kind of annoying, but it also gave me a chance to drag my brother around and make him pick up things that I dropped and couldn't bend to pick up because of my corset. It was really fun in Pipestone because someone that we kind of grew up with (doing this reenacting) was there and so we all kind of "hung out", in as much as we tried to have as much fun as we could while still being pretty period accurate. On Saturday it was pretty hot, but I had on a silk sheer dress, so what breeze there was floated through the sleeves and skirt which kept me relatively comfortable. Saturday night there was a dance on the lawn of Pipestone City Hall. It was pretty fun but I wish they'd done more dances rather than stopped after 5. Anyway, I did a reel with my dad which was rather difficult because my dress somehow ended up floor-length, so it was rather difficult stepping backward and sashaying. Then later this like 7 year-old kid asked me to dance. He was so cute that I had to say yes, even though I'm terrible shy especially near a dance floor. Unfortunately there weren't enough couples to make another square in the quadrille so we had to wait for the next dance. When the next dance started, Katurah switched out with me and dad switched with the little kid, so we weren't actually partners but we were in the same square...i got a tall, awkward soldier. I noticed that subconsciously I have matured since the last Pipestone. While consciously I shy away from the idea of dancing with a stranger, subconsciously though, I think that if some other guy had asked me to dance, I would most likely have said yes. Getting me to dance is like pulling teeth, but once I'm dancing, I have a ton of fun... I love to dance ;P. Well, it's almost three, so I'm going to have to finish this another time.
♥ B

No comments:

Post a Comment