Thursday, May 12, 2011

Diamonds are NOT a girl's best friend....

So. (yes I know, I always begin with "so this, or so that" but as this is a rather informal blog as it is, i feel no need for formal introductions).
So in my Political Philosophy class, we recently started a new unit on Human Rights. I'm not exactly sure why we need to learn things after taking the IB test, but I think it's mostly to keep the seniors from ditching in the last weeks of school. Anyway, for the last two days we have been watching the movie Blood Diamond about the internal and external conflict over resource and land control, especially control of the diamond trade. There is so much killing, at times it's hard to watch. I know that living in modern American society we become desensitized to violence, and I must admit that when watching a movie like Die Hard or Inception, I don't really care whether the bad guy dies or not, or whether, in Inception for example, nameless body-guards die. However this movie is on a whole different level. In the first ten minutes you see so many innocent women and children die, shot mercilessly by rebels. I think the thing that makes this movie different is the fact that this really happens, that right at this moment some innocent person in Africa is being killed because of some quarrel over resources or land.

At one point in the movie when all the heads of the world powers were gathering to discuss what could be done to help and how to change policies for the better, a comment is made about how America is responsible for the largest percentage of diamond sales, and that this was unlikely to change. This made me pretty upset. Personally, I don't like diamonds much, I've never been attracted to them, preferring color and simplicity. This movie however has made me vow that if I ever get married, I will not have a diamond ring, and I'll not buy any diamond jewelry. I know perfectly well that my boycott will not make much of a difference if any at all, but it will make me feel like I'm doing my part.....typical American sentiment lol. I may be a bleeding heart liberal, but I'm also a major cynic, and a coward when it comes right down to it...I'd never be able to go to Africa to help in a mission or be a journalist. On the one hand, I cannot believe the cruel levels to which humans will stoop in quest of riches and power. I wish there was something that we could do to help make life better, even though hypocritically I am usually arguing over why Americans have to take care of everyone else. On the other hand, I know that this will never change.

I recently had to write an essay connecting a penchant for war and human nature. My cynical hand took over and I wrote rather pessimistically about how war is inevitable and Peace impossible because as long as people cannot share and cannot be accepting of differences, there will always be conflict. And although we as America could probably make a difference if we took a strong stand and stopped buying diamonds, there is no way in hell that that will ever happen, You want to know why? Because there is GREED. Greed which drives all morality away. And because all the little girls have to have their giant rock glittering on their finger for all to admire and be jealous over. Anyway, this movie made me think and in doing so that despite all my optimistic peace-talk and my 'make love, not war', I really have no faith in mankind. I see myself living out the rest of my days separated from the atrocities in the world, living a comfortable sheltered life while people continue to kill each at the drop of a hate without fail. The hopelessness of it all seriously almost made me start crying yesterday in class, the emotion was that strong. :(

I would like to say that although HORRIBLY depressing, Blood Diamond is still a good movie and one worth seeing is you can stomach the violence and the tragedy. One especially good aspect in its favor is the presence of a certain Leonardo DiCaprio is ruggedly gorgeous and who has at least one scene of amazing fanservice in which he is wearing only a towel around his waist....a lovely picture to be sure.
Anyway, I should really finish my English presentation...night lovelies.


Mo mhíle grá (my thousand loves)
B

No comments:

Post a Comment