Monday, February 20, 2012

Time Flies, Time Dies

I can't believe that it's already the middle of February already! O.O
Normally this would be the point where people would comment on how "it seems like just yesterday..." and I was honestly going to take that route, but in all honesty, even though the time is flying by, it still seems like it's been months. And yes, I am completely aware of the contradiction in that statement. I've been so busy in the last few months, but at the same time it feels like all I do is sit on the couch or on my bed and stare at the TV or my computer watching Netflix; I don't even read that much anymore. But between my Extended Essay for IB, college applications, and general homework and tests, the time really has passed.
       I would like to announce that I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH MY EXTENDED ESSAY!! As in I don't have to look at it again...ever. It is out of my life. As much fun as I had listening to all the music and learning about the political atmosphere of the 1960s and how it related to the music, I'm so glad that I finally got at least that portion of stress off my shoulders. Despite all the headaches that went along with preparing it however, I really am proud of the finished product. I think that it was a fairly well-written paper once I finally remembered how to write a freaking research paper. I know right?! How could I forget! I used to be pretty damn good at it and for some reason actually enjoyed it. Yea, I was a pretty weird kid...not that I'm any less weird now :p. But pretty much the whole problem was that in IB you don't write research papers, you write commentaries and essays. Once I got back into the swing of things, it turned out pretty damn good. And now it's gone!!
       As for college, that's yet another monstrosity I've been dealing with for like months now. I know everyone is going through pretty much the same thing, but I have no idea how they deal with the stress sometimes. o.O Anyway, I applied to five colleges and got accepted to all five, although I wasn't so sure that I would actually be accepted into the last one, they took long enough getting back to me. -_- I applied to the U of M Twin Cities, St. Catherine University, Hamline University, Gustavus Adolphus College, and Augsburg College. My top two choices are St. Catherine's and Hamline...mostly because they both offered my the most money :P
I went on a Hamline over-night last weekend and it was certainly interesting. I got to see some of campus life which was pretty fun; we even went Swing dancing!! At first I was a little reticent, since I didn't know how to do the steps and I hate just sitting there like a bump on a log. However, some of the members of the swing-dance club took the group of over-nighters into the hall and taught us all how to dance! It was so much fun! Although my partner never smiled.But overall it was a fun experience and everyone was very friendly and the program was very informative.

Last night into today I did my overnight at St. Kate's.  Wow. My mind is completely blown. I didn't think that the experience would be much different than Hamline. I've heard people talk about how they fell in love with their first choice and really felt a connection, but I hadn't felt like this about any college and so I was just expecting to enjoy myself, but nothing more. Boy was I wrong. The people there were so friendly and welcoming and just all around cheerful and fun. My hostesses were both English majors which was a lot of fun and the whole evening was one big nerd-off. We literally sat on the dorm floor and told anecdotes and laughed our asses off . :p
We even went on a night tour of the campus, exploring the buildings with unlocked doors. It was really fun...especially O'Shaugnessy. The campus is absolutely beautiful and even though it's situated in the middle of St. Paul and is flanked by two busy thoroughfares, it was almost silent. The quietness amazed me. Similar to the feeling of Hamline but somehow more so, I felt like I was in another world. Even the dorm made me feel more comfortable. Hamline's dorm was very clean and modern and very nice. This one however, I stayed in Crandall, was pretty small and looked like a 70s apartment building...which it essentially is. I loved it! haha I'm not sure exactly what that says about my personality. The dining room was much less cafeteria-like and more like a restaurant with a bunch of little round tables..it was nice. I really enjoyed the classes too. But I think the most important thing was the contrast of how I felt during the whole trip. At Hamline as the night and following day progressed, I started to feel slightly panicked and not wanting to commit. However at St. Kate's it just felt right and I was way more comfortable with the idea of the future, which was a new feeling.
At first I was freaked out about going to a school with only girls, but in all honesty, I didn't really notice the lack of masculinity there today, and I really like the idea of a school that is essentially built around female empowerment.
Wow this is really long,.... O.O
Ok I better sign off, but suffice it to say I think I've found my future! :)

Slán go fóill,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment